Tuesday, 13 May 2008

Is there anybody there?

It's now a couple of years or so since my Mum died. I think about her often and my little boy talks about her all the time. But something a little unusual happened at the weekend, that I wanted to put down in words.
When my mum was ill, she was in a hospital nearby. In the next bed was an older gentleman and after a very long wait one day for results we all started talking. He was from a very old gypsy family. His wife came into visit and they told me they had a touring fair. They were very interesting but Mum got much worse and we moved to a ward where there was no one to talk to and things got worse and worse for us.
This weekend we saw some hand painted signs for a small fair in our village. We took the kids along and being such a hot day not many other people had ventured out - so the small fair was pretty much deserted apart from us.
Kieran wanted to have a go on the side stall where you can pick any bag with a long stick with a hook on it. The woman serving us looked familiar and when the gentleman came up I recognised him from the next bed to my mum's. He didn't recognise me.
Kieran picked a bag at random. When he pulled out his prize I nearly burst into tears. It was an exact replica of the Winnie the Pooh soft toy my mother had bought in probably the 1980s - her favourite dog was called Winnie. When I cleared her house after she had died the toy was there in pride of place next to her bed.
Coincidences. The toy will be treasured, whatever.

3 comments:

Chips said...

Awww. Special people stick around, wherever they are.

Anonymous said...

Oooh, spooky Beverley - but in a good way... What an amazing string of events! I'm sure she's still looking after you from up there...
My brother-in-law's mum died 18 months ago and whenever we're talking about her with him the lights flicker - it can be at their house, our house, hotel rooms, anywhere! When we had Xmas dinner at their house we raised our glasses and drank a toast to "Nanny". As we did, her photo standing in a frame on the bookshelves at the other side of the room fell over. It totally freaked us out - it had been in the same place for many months and never moved. Rosie

Chapstaff said...

That's lovely to read.

Although not religious in any way I like to think the spirit of those closest to us, (human or animal) stays around.